Applicants who have recently completed all or part of the first half of graduate study at a Council on Social Work Education-accredited (CSWE) school of social work may apply as transfer students. We highly recommend you contact your Admissions Counselor or call 877.700.4MSW with any questions.
The USC School of Social Work follows the transfer credit policies set forth by the USC Degree Progress Department and outlined in the USC Catalogue.
- Graduate transfer credit will only be allowed for courses (1) from an accredited graduate school, (2) of a quality of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale, (3) constituting a fair and reasonable equivalent to current USC course work at the graduate level and (4) logically fitting into the program for the degree.
- Graduate transfer credit will not be granted for life experience.
- Transfer work must have been completed within seven years of admission to a USC master’s degree program to be applied toward that degree.
- Graduate transfer credit will not be allowed for non-matriculated students. Applicant must have been enrolled and matriculating through the MSW program at their original institution.
In addition, please review transfer credit policies specific to the Master of Social Work program at the USC School of Social Work:
- The maximum amount of transferable credits is 12 semester units.
- Of the 12 units, courses eligible for transfer credit review are those determined to be equivalent to USC’s first-year courses or to meet the expectation of the second-year electives, and in which a grade of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 grading scale was earned. Please note that transfer credit is not guaranteed, even if a course meets the eligibility requirements.
- Coursework is evaluated on a course-by-course basis by designated faculty members, with the approval of the Vice Dean.
- Transfer applicants will be considered for all cohorts. However, please keep in mind that the transfer applicant’s actual program start date is contingent upon the number of units and the nature of the transfer courses accepted by the university and may not align with original cohort for which the student applied.
Transfer Applicant Timelines
Refer to the Admissions Overview page for future deadlines to submit a completed application (please see standard application process) and all transfer materials. Documents received beyond the deadline will not be reviewed due to time constraints.
Applicants will be notified of transfer credit evaluation results 15 business days prior to the start of classes.
The following transfer materials must be submitted in addition to those required of the standard application process:
- Transfer Request Form
- A letter of good standing from the dean or associate dean of the original institution
- Course syllabus for each course for which you are requesting transfer credit; if you are requesting credit for field experience, you must submit a full description of your field experience and copies of field evaluations
- Copy of MSW program information in the original institution’s catalogue for the period during which coursework was completed.
- Completed assignments for each course for which you are requesting transfer credit.
Please submit all materials together via postal mail to the following address:
ATTN: Brandy Alexis
USC School of Social Work – Virtual Academic Center
1150 South Olive St.
Los Angeles, CA 90015-2211