5 Lessons on Addressing Racial Equity and Promoting Change
1. Working with people of varied cultures and ethnicities requires immersion in their communities.
2. Advancing racial equity starts with acknowledging our history and learning how to speak about it honestly.
3. Tackling racism includes examining societal structures.
4. Engaging lawmakers is a critical component to advocating for your clients.
5. Storytelling can help to move the needle on policy.
Advocacy and Racial Equity Resources for Social Workers
- NASW Advocacy page highlights the association’s advocacy priorities with opportunities to join sign-on letters and receive legislative alerts.
- NASW Policy Issues page features key policy issues for the association and federal social policy recommendations for the new administration and Congress.
- NASW Social Justice page highlights the organization’s social justice priorities with briefs on specific issues such as policing, refugee resettlement and gun violence.
- NASW Racial Equity page provides training and resources from various NASW chapters designed to promote anti-racism efforts.
- NASW-CA Advocacy and Political Action page features the California chapter’s 2021 policy agenda and has tips on how to engage lawmakers directly and through the media.
- NASW-CA Racism and Social Justice page provides anti-racism resources with continuing education courses related to race.