#YouMatter: 60 Ways To Show Someone You Care
The USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work invites you to participate in You Matter, a grassroots campaign designed to foster well-being and bring back some much-needed human connection. Use our Care Cards to tell someone why they matter to you.
The purpose of a Care Card is to serve as a random act of kindness — a message of love, friendship or appreciation. The You Matter campaign encourages human connection and is a reminder that we’re all in this life together. You never know what someone may be going through, and simply checking in can have a huge impact on that person’s well-being. Take a moment to tell someone, “You Matter,” by downloading a Care Card today!
Below are 60 ways you can use a Care Card to tell someone they matter to you.
- Thank a friend for being there when times were tough. (Example: You Matter Because…you let me cry on your shoulder.)
- Show someone you appreciate them for being a good friend.
- Describe a time a small act made a big difference. (Example: You Matter Because… you brought me soup when I was sick.)
- Give someone a compliment.
- Tell someone why their talent/skills inspire you.
- Show your best friend why they are the BEST.
- Highlight a unique trait. (Example: You Matter Because… you rock those red curls and inspire me to do the same!)
Send a Care Card to…
- A sibling
- A cousin
- A parent
- Aunts and uncles
- Close family friends
- Tell someone who has been bullied why they matter to you. (Example: You Matter Because…you don’t let anyone change who you are, and that inspires me!)
- Thank a friend for intervening or standing up against bullies.
- Thank an adult, teacher or staff member for helping you with a bully.
- Thank a friend for listening and empathizing with what happened.
- Tell a classmate who has been bullied that you are there for them.
- Encourage a friend who stopped bullying. (Example: You Matter Because…you are trying to be a better person.)
- Tell someone why they make your life better.
- Thank someone for making a difference in your life. (Example: You Matter Because…you taught me to be proud of who I am.)
- Tell someone you love them.
- Tell a friend how they have inspired you to be a better person. (Example: You Matter Because…you inspired me to give back to our community.)
- Give a friend a boost when they are struggling.
- Tell someone why they are your hero.
- Explain why you look up to someone.
- Describe the impact someone has on you.
- Tell someone why you believe in them.
- Tell someone how they rocked it.
- Share why someone should be hopeful.
- Tell someone why their future is bright.
Public Service Appreciation
Show our public servants why they make a difference. Send Care Cards to…
- Police officers
- Military service members and veterans
- Fire fighters
- Staff at your school
- Mentors and coaches
- Bus drivers
- Mail carriers
Thank You Cards
Thank someone for…
- Making you feel included
- Encouraging you to follow your dreams
- Teaching you a new skill
- Standing up for you
- Leading a cause close to your heart
- Going above and beyond to help you out
Random Acts of Kindness
- Do something nice for someone and add a nice message
- Leave an extra big tip for the food server and tell them why their service is outstanding.
- Visit a senior center and ask to hear an elderly person’s life story. Leave a message about why their life made a difference.
- Mow a neighbor’s lawn, rake their leaves, shovel a sidewalk and leave an anonymous Care Card.
- Send a Care Card to an elderly person who has been an influence in your life.
- Write a letter to a teacher who influenced your life.
- Reach out to someone who has dedicated their life to your favorite cause. Tell them why it matters. (Example: You Matter Because…the work you do ensures a healthy future for our planet earth.)
- When buying coffee, pay for the person behind you. Hand them a Care Card and remind them why they matter.
- Leave Care Cards at a blood donation center.
- Tell someone what you notice about them. (Example: You Matter Because…your confidence is dazzling!)
- Reach out to a homeless person.
- Give a compliment to a stranger.
- Tell someone that you admire them.
Help us spread the joy:
Share the You Matter campaign on your blog, Tumblr, or on your favorite social media platforms!
Become a You Matter Ambassador. Copy the below text into your blog post or embed our badge!:
I’m joining the #YouMatter, movement! I pledge to use Care Cards to tell three people why they matter to me. Join the USC’s masters of social work program for a grassroots campaign that inspires human connection. Positive Mental Health, Pass it on!
Embed this Graphic on Your Site: