How Virtual Skills Trainings Are Disrupting the Traditional Internship Experiences for Social Workers
How Does the Virtual Field Practicum Work?
- Clinical risk factors
- Ethical dilemmas
- Empathy training
- DSM-5 training
- Case management
- Evidence-based search strategies
- Self-care strategies
- Community activism
What Impact Does the VFP Have on Learning?
- Thinking and judgment
- Cultural competency
- Social justice
- Evidence-based practice
- Person in environment
- Current trends
- Practice skills
- The VFP’s simulated experiences provide students with skills practice that helps them feel more confident as they enter agencies.
- Clients who are paired with first semester interns receive services from students who have a demonstrated understanding of basic skills in applying interventions.
- Schools can take on more of the fundamental skills training from agencies who have increasingly limited resources.
- Agencies who take on interns can develop them for three semesters rather than two, ensuring that they get a greater return on investment of time and training.