Military Populations and Settings
- Care for service members, veterans and their families who are dealing with a range of physical, mental and psychosocial issues.
- Better understand military culture.
- Learn about the systems of care in place for military personnel before and during deployments and the transition back home.
- Assist returning service members with finding health and employment services.
- Work with local agencies to identify and serve military populations in their communities.
- Mental health therapy, from physical illness and disease to family issues and traumatic experiences
- Military to civilian life reintegration support
- Crisis intervention
- Individual and family counseling
- Resource navigation, such as financial, housing and benefit assistance
- Aging veteran support and advocacy
The current social work labor force, including practice with veterans, cannot keep pace with demand.1 Our engagement in wars — past, present and future — will continue to create a need for a more robust workforce that is ready and able to tackle new challenges. Social workers offer a particular skill set and knowledge base that is beneficial, if not indispensable, to service members, veterans and their loved ones.
Program Track Requirements
- Life in the U.S. Military: Foundations for Practice
- Examines the experience of military service, including challenges and theoretical and empirical foundations of military social work clinical practice.
- Practice with Service Members, Veterans and Families
- Learn how to engage, assess and intervene in practice and policy with service members, veterans and their families.
- Research & Critical Analysis for SW with Children & Families
- Critical analysis and application of various data, information, and evidence to understand client problems and service needs, identify appropriate interventions, and evaluate practice decisions.
- Assessment & Diagnosis of Mental Disorders
- Assessment of mental disorders, and the rationale and organization of the system for diagnosis. Emphasis is on developing differential diagnostic skills.