School Social Work
- Meet with students individually to discuss problems at home that are affecting their grades.
- Assess students with mental health concerns, and direct them toward helpful services.
- Report cases of neglect or child abuse to the appropriate authorities.
- Provide counseling and crisis intervention services to students’ families.
- Contribute to the social, emotional, and academic success of a pupil.
- Advocate for resources that will help promote student success and well-being.
- Help school staff identify the cultural and socioeconomic factors affecting students’ decisions.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local social work agencies that help you support students.
- All required courses in the Department of Children, Youth and Families
- Social Work Practice in School Settings
California State Credentials
- The school social work track course requirements.
- The required field education requirements with a verified PPSC Field Instructor.
- A minimum of 1,000 field hours, with at least 600 hours of field education in school settings.