School Social Work
Track for California Residents
- Meet with students individually to discuss problems at home that are affecting their grades.
- Assess students with mental health concerns, and direct them toward helpful services.
- Report cases of neglect or child abuse to the appropriate authorities.
- Provide counseling and crisis intervention services to students’ families.
- Advocate for resources that will help boost student achievement.
- Help school staff identify the cultural and socioeconomic factors affecting students’ decisions.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local social work agencies that help you support students.
- All core courses in the Department of Children, Youth and Families
- Social Work Practice in School Settings
- School Violence OR Social Work in Early Care and Education Settings
California State Credentials
- The school social work track course requirements.
- The school social work track field education requirements.
- An additional 600 hours of field education in a school setting.